Following the success of his hilarious, over-the-top “Gettin Dough” video, Miami’s Lex One returns with some audio heat in the form of “Real Life Story.” It’s another standout joint off the rapper/producer’s great 2016 album, Gold Plaque, that’ll leave you rushing to hear the full record once the track’s over.
Fellow Floridian Creole supplies the minimalist and hypnotizing production for Lex, who uses it to his advantage as soon as he hits the mic. The beat will leave your head nodding, but it’s the emcee’s vocals and lyrics that keep you engaged. As the track’s title implies, “Real Life Story” provides a look into the reality behind the boasts and brags of the music.
Don’t get it twisted, though, because there’s some great bravado lingering within the raps here, including a slick nod to Busta Rhymes and FlipMode Squad. But Lex balances them with real-life insights and observations, even in subtle ways. Like in the first verse when he drops “I’m too manic” into a bar or later says, “All day I dream about, all the things I been without.” It’s a clever means of getting personal without becoming an open wound, and it also makes for one of Lex’s finest tracks to date.
“Real Life Story” can now be streamed, and can be purchased for download along with the remaining tracks featured on Gold Plaque, which is now available through all major digital retailers, via GTPS.
• iTunes: http://bit.ly/iTunesGoldPlaque
• Amazon: http://bit.ly/AmazonGoldPlaque
• Google Play: http://bit.ly/GooglePlayGoldPlaque
• Spotify: http://bit.ly/SpotifyGoldPlaque
• Tidal: http://bit.ly/TidalGoldPlaque
Lex One Online:
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/LexOneGTPS
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lexonegtps
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LexOneGTPS
• SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/lexonegtps