long way away (1984) is trying to remember something you forgot...
- ● The Story: The main character is stuck in a mundane existence, and enveloped in a cloud of oppressive pessimism (expressed musically as much as lyrically). Yet he’s struggling with a vague remembrance of better days (of blue skies)...
- ● Politically, the song is a critique of tactics used to obscure the past (to cloud our remembrance of better times) -- to limit expectations, and diminish hope.
- ● “1984” simultaneously references the better days of past, and the dystopia described in Orwell’s “1984”, which suddenly feels all too familiar...
grey skies above me again.
has it ever been different than it is right now?
and the wind is not a friend.
does it ever end? will it ever slow down?
undrgrndman is a genre-bending storyteller & multi-instrumentalist musician based in Los Angeles.
● Rather than align to a specific musical genre, undrgrndman strives to tell a story with each song -- fusing traditional songwriting and dance music.
● undrgrndman records all of his music entirely on his own, playing every instrument (keys, bass, guitar, and drums) and singing every vocal line.
● undrgrndman’s roots are those of a live musician — he toured internationally as the synth player for p-funk (parliament funkadelic). He brings the spontaneity of live instrumentation (no pre-programming, no step sequencing on the keys) to all of his songs, whether electronic or otherwise.